Monday, July 31, 2017

Colors of Love: Gen. 1.2



To say my life is monotonous would be an understatement. There’s school. Piano lessons so I can entertain mother’s guests at her parties. Dance lessons so I can learn to walk with grace. Never really understood how those two went together, but still I go.

There’s time spent with Cotton. Everyone gushes about how I was so lucky to snag such a great guy. Class President. Head of the Honor Scholars club. Volunteers his time with the elderly and blah, blah, blah. Only thing he isn’t already doing is kissing babies while hugging puppies. Yuki especially was always quick to remind me of what a great guy I had whenever I dared to complain about him.


"What time will Cotton be picking you up?"

"Um…"

"Don’t say um, dear, it’s unbecoming. You should always be sure of your words and if you’re not you remain quiet until you are."

"Yes Mother. I wasn’t aware I had to go out with him this evening."

"Dear you say that as if you don’t enjoy spending time with him."

I worked really hard to not scream out that I don’t. I rather spend twelve hours reading up on molecular biology than five minutes pretending to enjoy the company of my ‘boyfriend’.


"It’s not that I don’t want to see him, I just thought my evening was free so I could finish my latest painting."

She waved her hand dismissively. "It’s on your calendar Dove. Tonight is the back to school bonfire that he organized for the senior class."

So much for a quiet, peaceful evening.


Cotton showed up promptly at 6:30 to pick me up and we headed out to the old ruins. Luckily he said nothing to me in the car on the way over. All the usual suspects were there. I’m glad Candy made it back in time. Her parents had shipped her off to some study abroad thing for the summer. She didn’t want to go and I would kill for the chance to spend a summer away from my mother.


Then there’s Yuki. Who was already gushing about how Cotton’s idea for this bonfire was the best way to kick off the final school year.

There was one kid I didn’t recognize, we were the first ones to arrive since we were all part of the student council but the purple kid I’d never seen before.


I looked over in the direction of the new guy. “Cotton, who’s that?”

He followed my gaze. “Oh, him. He’s the charity case.”

“What?”

He rolled his eyes. “Do you not listen to anything your father does? His new program, helping out the less fortunate and all. Purple boy is the new scholarship kid. Dad made me bring him, said it’d be good to be in line with your father’s thinking.”

“And does he have a name?”


“I’m sure he does but why would I care to remember it?”

Such an entitled prick! I wanted to punch him in his nose. But that wouldn’t be very becoming of a lady so I swallowed my anger. I did remember the program. Dad’s last platform when he ran for office. No child left behind. Cracklin Academy or Snobs R Us as I like to call it had been resistant to Dad’s idea of opening up a scholarship program. Last I’d heard it was still under discussion, but I guess it went through.
 
Just as I was heading to go introduce myself, he walked over to us.


“Hey I’m Tyrian Rosette.”

He held his hand out for me to shake. Cotton shot me a disgusted look when I took it.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Dove. Dove Milken.”

“Milken? You wouldn’t be related to…”

“Yes she’s the daughter of Senator Milken.” Cotton put his arm around my waist, pulling me to his side. “So be nice to her or she could get your scholarship revoked. But not too nice.”

He gave Tyrian a look and I wanted to shove Cotton off me. How dare he say something like that about me?

Tyrian just shook his head. “Whatever you say dude.”


Soon as he left Cotton removed his arm. Once other people started to arrive Cotton was busy being in Mr. Popular mode so I made my way over to Tyrian.

“Hey I wanted to apologize for what Cotton said. I wouldn’t do that.”

He smiled at me and my stomach did flip flops. “No biggie. I think it was more about him trying to stake his claim.”


“That’s no excuse. I really am glad to meet you.”

“Same here.”

The rest of the night I found reasons to talk to Tyrian as much as possible. I learned that only he and his mother made the move to Windenburg. His father stayed behind for work. He was lucky the scholarship offered a living stipend otherwise they’d never be able to afford it.


His mother had managed to land a job at the Country Club to help cover the other expenses. He wanted to work, but both his parents rather he focused on his studies because this was such a great opportunity.  Talking to him was refreshing. Tyrian was down to earth and not pretentious like most of the other kids.


It’s not like Cotton noticed. He was too busy not so subtly flirting with Yuki. Now I guess I understood why she was so quick to sing his praises. Not that I was surprised, I mean nearly every girl in school wanted Cotton. They could have him for all I cared.


However when I saw them sneaking off towards ‘make-out’ cave it was too much. Not that I cared he was doing whatever with her, it’s the fact that he didn’t even bother to wait until there wasn’t half the senior class around to notice their absence.

“Hey, you okay?”

While others were whispering and such, Tyrian was the only one to show any concern.


“Yeah. Just tired. Think I’m going to walk home.”

“Walk? No I’ll take you. All I have is a little scooter though, no fancy car.”

His scooter was tiny, but it fit us both. The best part I had to hold on to him during the ride. It was silly, but the ride felt like the most freeing experience in my life.

“Wow you live here huh?”


I looked back at the massive, stately house. “Yeah, home sweet home.”

“I think the little two bedroom place we’re renting could fit in there ten times over.”

Nothing but the best for the Milkens. “Thanks again for bringing me home.”

“It was my pleasure. I hope we have a few classes together. If tonight was any indication, I don’t see myself making many friends.”

“Well you already have one.”

I don’t know what possessed me to do it, but I stepped forward and gave him a hug. It felt nice in his arms.


“See you around, Dove.”

“Okay. Night.”

I was still smiling when I entered the house, but that didn’t last long.

“What do you think you’re doing young lady? Who is that boy and where is Cotton?”

“He’s a friend. Tyrian, he gave me a…”


“He’s no friend. And that doesn’t explain why you are with him instead of Cotton.”

“Because Cotton was too busy sucking face with Yuki to even notice I’d left.”

I blurted the words out before I could stop them. I’m sure somewhere under her botoxed face was an angry scowl.


“You watch your mouth young lady. I don’t want to see you with that boy again do I make myself clear?”

“Mother what’s the harm?”

“Do I make myself clear?”


“Yes. Ma’am.”

“Good. You still have so much to learn. Your reaction to sometimes unpleasant situations matters more than the situation itself. Understand?”

I nodded even though I had no clue what she meant.

Update 3

4 comments:

  1. I love to slap her mother. Cotton is a total jerk and she clearly likes Tyrian. Just because he doesn't come from old money doesn't mean she shouldn't be friends with him. btw with friends like Yuki she doesn't need any enemies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL so would Dove. Cotton is a jerk but they choose not to see it or just outright ignore it. Either it makes things even worse on Dove. Tyrian comes from no money so he is 'beneath' them in her parent's and Cotton's eyes. LOL Yuki yeah, she's not really a friend it would seem.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. I think the fact that her family is all white suites Dove. No freedom. No expression. Can't even be upset that her 'boyfriend' cheats on her with no shame.

    Her mom is something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been this bad with answering comments before.

      Yes, her parents aren't concerned with her or her happiness. It's all about appearance for them. Especially her mother. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete