Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Colors Of Love: Gen. 1.3




I was surprised to find dad at home when I made it down for breakfast. He normally was up and off to his office for one meeting or another most days. Even weekends. I often wondered if he was really that busy or if he took it as an escape to get away from Mother.

“Good morning Dove.”

“Morning.”

“Your mother was rather upset last night.”


“I didn’t do anything.”

“I’m sure you didn’t honey, but it’s all about how things appear.”

“Well I didn’t appear to do anything wrong either. What girl wouldn’t be upset if she saw her high school sweetheart flirting with some other girl?”

Dad was silent. I’d learned to fake a lot of things over the years, so faking that I was upset about Cotton cheating was easy enough.


“Honey you have to remember while Cotton is an upstanding young man, he is still a teenage boy, and well sometimes boys do not so smart things. Don’t you think you worried him by running off like you did?”

“I hope one day you two will care about me and my feelings as much as you care about Cotton’s.”

Before he could say anything else, I excused myself from the table and headed to my art room. I don’t know what I expected, but it hurt more than I thought it would to know my parents would take Cotton’s side over mine. How is it they think he can do no wrong? Or even worse thing I’d be happy overlooking all the crap he says and does. Parents are supposed to want their kids to be happy. Why couldn’t I have parents like that?


I was surprised Mother hadn’t sought me out. I knew she was up and about, I could hear her talking to the Misty, our longtime housekeeper. I didn’t mind, I enjoyed the peace. Her being mad at me gave me the time to enjoy my painting without interruption. Well at least for a while, until Misty came to let me know I had a visitor.

For a brief moment I got excited hoping Tyrian came back, but when I saw Yuki standing in the foyer that excitement went away.


“Oh Dove. We’ve been so worried. You just ran off, and not been answering your phone.”

“Who is we exactly? I replied to Candy.”

“But not me?”

“Figured you might be busy.”

“Cotton was so upset you left the bonfire and with that charity case no less.”


“Why are you here Yuki?”

“To check on my friend. There’s no telling what that boy could have done to you.”

I opened the door for her.  “Well thank you for your concern Yuki. And I’m sure you were there to take care of Cotton in his worried state. Thank you for coming to check on me. As you can see I’m fine. Tyrian was a perfect gentlemen and nothing unsavory happened.”

She stood there for a moment. “Don’t mention it. Glad you’re okay.”

She looked like she wanted to say something else, but just left instead. I went back to my art room. They must all think I’m stupid or something. Why would she even come over here acting like she cared?


For the rest of the day I thought about Tyrian. How was it I found it easier to talk to someone I’d known for only a few hours than the people I’ve known for years. My parents included.

I wanted to talk to him again, but sadly I didn’t ask for his number. And he didn’t ask for mine. For the first time in a long time, I was anxious for school to start. It would be the soonest I’d be able to possibly see him again.
Unless… I needed to talk to my father. This was his project, he might know the information I was after.


A phone call to his office got me nowhere. Of course Shasta, his personal assistant, said she’d tell him I called, but I wasn’t holding my breath.

“The Country Club.”  

    
I normally hated that place, only going when my parents made me, but…I quickly called up Candy. She was a little surprised I wanted to go, but was happy to tag along. Operation track down Tyrian was on.

Update 4

4 comments:

  1. The more I read the more sorry I feel for her. Why is it that this Cotton asshole is more important to them than their own daughter. If they like him so much maybe they should marry him and let Dove live her own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good question. It's one Dove has asked and will continue to ask. They should just adopt him and help him with his career, no need to make Dove suffer. But they don't see it as suffering so she's pretty much stuck. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Yuki is just as bad as the rest of them! She seems all set and ready to be "the other woman" and expects Dove to be cool with it! WHat a bunch of self involved fakes! poor Dove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Not to be trusted! Fake friends because Dove is the 'it' girl but not by her own doing. And it's a title she doesn't even want.

      thanks for reading

      Delete