Friday, September 1, 2017

Colors of Love: Gen. 1.10





Oasis Springs was a lot different than Widenburg. I’d never been to the desert before, but I thought I could like it here. The taxi put me out in front of the house. It was small, but looked cozy from the outside. Mother said it was an old property that had been left to her. Some friend of hers lived here now and I’d been shipped off to her care until after my pregnancy.


They expected me to return and pick up where I left off, but I’d be eighteen by the time I had the baby. I had no plans to return. A grandmotherly looking woman stepped out of the door just as I walked up the drive. The way she was dressed surprised me. Colors, patterns, everything I wasn’t really used to, but it was exciting.


“Dove! I’m so excited to finally meet you.” She engulfed me in a hug. “Come in. Come in. How was your trip? Are you hungry? You must be so tired you poor thing.”

She ushered me in straight to the kitchen.

“You have a lovely home.”

It too was a color, patterned filled delight. Things back home were always so monochromatic. Everyone’s house nearly the same. The same solid colors of varying hues. Rosa’s house…it was like some sort of wonderland of free choice.


“Thank you. Guess it’s yours now too.” She gave me a motherly smile.

Who was this woman? Mother didn’t say much other than she’d made arrangements for me to stay somewhere until after I had the baby. She’d kept going on about finding a couple to adopt and then putting it all behind me. I stopped paying attention when I heard I’d be leaving. Getting out. Getting away from them, Cotton, and Tyrian.

My new guardian, Rosa, she was sweet and friendly and not someone I’d ever see my Mother interacting with.


She sat a plate in front of me. “There you go, eat up. We have a baby to grow.”

“Thank you Rosa.”

“It’s been so long since I’ve had company. Your mom hasn’t come in a while.” She looked off like she might be contemplating something.  “Once you finish, I’ll show you to your room. But eat up. That baby needs to be fed.”

“Rosa how do you know my Mother? I’ve never heard her talk about you until she shipped me off here.”


She smiled again. “Angel was always such an interesting child. I mean I wasn’t around a lot for it, but I knew still. Anyway things worked out better this way.”

“Um…” I didn’t really know how to respond.

It was the strangest non-answer and I’d gotten plenty of non-answers from my parents. Only I didn’t think Rosa’s was deliberate. She was strange, but sweet, and away from home. That made her the best person ever.

Update 11

4 comments:

  1. Is this woman Angel's mother? No matter who she is I think Dove is better off with her than her god awful parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a mystery. She's someone otherwise Dove wouldn't have been sent there. Hide her away for now is their plan.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Wha...? First, I totally forgot about this story until you replied to my comments, so glad you did!

    Second, is that Angel's mother??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha it's okay. I have been slack on updating.

      Um... that is the big question.

      thanks for reading

      Delete