Thursday, February 20, 2020

Colors Of Love- Gen. 1.19



I kept expecting the girls to hit me with more questions, but days turned to weeks, and weeks turned into months. Seemingly my explanation and information that day satisfied their curiosities about Tyrian. I did dig out the picture I had of us together and let them have it. It now hung in their room.


Because they had an excellent father in Syrah, I was ashamed to admit I never imagined what life was like for them to be different. It was family day at school that brought the issue to light for them. Kids could sadly be cruel.

Their inquiry gave me a moment of reflection and I’d briefly considered trying to find Tyrian. Maybe they needed to meet him. When I’d spoken to Syrah about it, he’d said he supported whatever decision I made. Biology or not, the girls were his as much as Rosie was, but he wouldn’t stand in the way if I or they wanted a reconnection.


In the end I decided no. The girls hadn’t asked again, and I didn’t bring it up to them. It was probably the coward’s way, but they had two loving parents that adored them. I also knew in the back of my mind I wasn’t ready to face Tyrian again. Sure years had passed, but seeing him again, I worried if that small part of me that continued to hold on to what we shared would take over a bigger piece of my heart.

It was crazy. I had a loving husband, three wonderful children, I should have been over a fleeting teenage affair. Correction I was…I was over it. So as the girls carried on with life, I did the same.

“Dinner smells great,” Syrah kissed my cheek before calling the girls to eat.


We settled at the table and I smiled seeing my family. I had a life I’d thought would only live in my dreams. A partner that loved me, wonderful children, and the freedom to paint til my heart was content.

“I was thinking,” Syrah stated. “I have some time off, why don’t we do something? Camping maybe.”

“Ewww, camping. Bugs, and dirt, and bugs.” Iris scrunched up her nose at the idea and Lilac nodded her head in agreement.


“It could be fun guys.” I tried to sound excited, but frankly shared their thoughts.
“It will be. My dad used to take me and your aunt all the time. I can teach you guys to fish, we’ll have smores. And promise I’ll rent a cabin, we won’t rough it too much.”


A week later we were at a large cabin with the girls complaining only a little. The downside was it rained nearly nonstop for our weekend, but it was a great time with Syrah giving the girls some extra attention. I didn’t know if maybe he did have some feelings over the fact they’d asked about Tyrian. Like somehow he felt he’d let them down. He’d been working a lot before that so maybe he was feeling guilty over not being around as much.


Or maybe I was projecting my own feelings and making way more out of some much needed family quality time. The weekend was lovely and getting away was just what we all needed.


Monday rolled around, the twins were at school, Syrah was off at work and Rosie was down for her nap. It was that peaceful hour I looked forward to for getting some uninterrupted painting done.  Until the doorbell rang.

“Hello, Beautiful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment