Friday, April 10, 2020

Colors of Love - Gen. 1.20



A million thoughts and feelings raced. Staring at his face transported me back to when I was seventeen. He was here. How was he here? Why was he here? My mouth went dry and there was much I wanted to say. Much I probably needed to say, but only one word made its way out.

“Tyrian.”

He smiled and I could have sworn my heart skipped a beat. “In the flesh.”

My past was colliding with my present and I didn’t know how to process that fact.


“May I come in?”
     
In? “Oh, yes, of course.”

We sat in silence, my nerves continuing to prevent my ability to have complete thoughts.


“So…I’m a dad,” he finally said. “Why…why didn’t you tell me?”

I frowned. “You…you used me. You said…you said you didn’t…”

“It was a lie. Your father. I’m sorry, Dove. I wanted to tell you the truth. I was going to, but you were always watched and Cotton was around.”

He reached for my hands and the moment he touched me that spark from years ago revived like it was yesterday. I snatched my hands free.


“What did my father do?”

“He threatened to pull the scholarship and get my mother fired. He told her that if I didn’t stay away from you…I was a kid and it was stupid. I should have stood up to her and him, but I didn’t. And I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Dove.”


I swallowed down the lump in my throat. It made sense. My parents and Cotton went through great lengths to control my life. Still it hurt that he went along with it. No, that was past. I’ve moved on.

“I asked about you, when you stopped coming to school. Candy and Yuki remained tight lipped. And Cotton, well let’s just say it was a rough end of the year.”

I groaned, suddenly feeling guilty for leaving Tyrian to face Cotton’s wrath.

“How…how did you find me?”

“Our daughters. I got an email a while back. I didn’t believe it at first, but they showed me the picture we took. You kept it all these years?”


I nodded. “I wanted something for when I told them about you. I’m sorry, for not…for keeping…”

“It’s okay. I mean it sucks that I’ve missed out before, but I understand the why. There is much I’m sure we’d both change if we could go back in time.”

He smiled again and once more butterflies attacked my stomach. It was nerves. Only nerves.

“Yes. So, I’m sure you want to meet them and I want you to. It’s just, unexpected and I need to tell the girls and Sy that you’re here.”

A strange look crossed his face at the mention of Syrah. Whatever he was going to say was cut off when Rosie called out.


“I need to get her, but um leave me your number and I’ll call you later.”

“Okay. And um…it was good to see you again, Dove.”

“Same.”

I don’t know what possessed me to do it, but I hugged him, and held on for probably longer than was appropriate before I stepped away.

No comments:

Post a Comment