Saturday, March 17, 2018

Colors of Love: Gen. 1.13




*2 yrs later*
Being a mom was by far the most tiring, yet rewarding thing I’d ever experienced. Iris was sweet and quiet. 


She rarely fussed and always seemed to be happy. I adored that about her.

Lilac was the more rambunctious of the two. 


She constantly wandered off and found trouble. They kept me on my toes and I loved every minute of it.

Our house was small, only two bedrooms, so the girls and I shared a space. Rosa and I discussed hiring a contractor to see about expanding in the future, but for now things worked.


Rosa was a life saver. I honestly don’t know if I could have handled things if I was on my own. Being a young mother, I still had a lot to learn and her patience and guidance was invaluable.


I hadn’t seen my parents since moving here. The relationship remained strained. I called and told them they had twin granddaughters. I’d even sent pictures. I’d hoped that seeing them, knowing they existed in the world and that I was happy would be enough to change their minds.


I’d hoped that seeing the adorable smiling faces of their grandchildren would make up for me being such a failure in their eyes. But more importantly I’d hoped they’d realize they weren’t a mistake and something to be ashamed of. The fact that they’d not once come to visit them was all the proof I needed to know that my hope was lost.


I tried not to dwell on it, just like I tried not to dwell on how much the girls reminded me of their father. Two years later, and part of me still ached over losing him. I’d never been angry with him, only saddened that things happened the way they did. He gave me my girls, and when they were old enough to ask about their father, I’d already decided I’d tell only the good parts.


Rosa was that grandmother figure I’d always wanted growing up. The kind that gave out hugs freely, and baked you chocolate chip cookies when you felt sad. The girls adored her and had taken to calling her Nana. They’d help her in the garden and ask for her at bedtime. This woman had opened her home and heart to not only me, but my children. 


We’d taken over her space, and she never complained. Any talk of me looking for my own house, she quickly shut down. She wanted us here as much as we wanted to be here.

I loved the life that I had now.

Update 14

4 comments:

  1. Awww twins. They are so cute and I love that picture of Lilac in the high chair with the pout on her face. Her parents are a lost cause but she seems very happy living with Rosa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, twins. I've had the hardest time with multiples in S4 so I was shocked she ended up with them. Certainly more than I planned, but it will be fun. Her parents are a lost cause, but she's fine with that. Rosa is the family she always wanted.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Twins!!
    (how did you decide their coloring, or did they turn out that way on their own? When I have tried playing around with a rainbowcy they look just like 1 or the other parent, no mixing)

    It's sad that her parents have turned their backs even knowing they have grandchildren but it really looks like the girls are thriving :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! And there's a dice roller that decides the coloring. Have to do it that way because the colorful skin doesn't translate, and honestly it's a pain because the hair and such randomly changes color. LOL In the rules linked at the top of the story tab it shows how what is chosen.

      Yeah, it's sad, but they can't see past their own ambitions right now.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete