Saturday, March 17, 2018

Colors of Love: Gen. 1.14




Rosa was starting to worry me. From the day I met her she’d always been super energetic and full of life. She stayed on the move whether it was cooking, working in her garden, or for the past two and a half years, helping me chase after the girls. To find her taking naps as frequently as they did, something was wrong.

Anytime I brought it up, she maintained she was as healthy as a horse and that she’s probably outlive us all. I wasn’t prepared. How could a person be fine and talking to us one minute then collapse and be gone the next. It didn’t make sense. It wasn’t fair.



I called 911 but they were too late. The girls cried for their Nana. I was in a daze. How could she be gone?

“Ma’am is there anyone I can call for you?” I gave him a blank stare. “A friend? Any other family?”


I finally shook my head. There was no one. We had no one else. My parents, they hadn’t come to see their grandchildren, I didn’t expect them to drop everything and fly to Oasis Springs for me now. I’d never been their priority.

“I’m almost off shift. I can stay with you for a little while if you need.”


I finally registered the officer in front of me. His pink eyes showing nothing but care and concern. It was probably just a part of his job, but it meant the world to me at that moment. I leaned down to pick up Iris, he picked up Lilac and followed me back into the house.

The next morning I called my parents. To my surprise Mother actually sounded upset at the news. She went into planning mode and arranged for a small service at the funeral home. 


I made calls myself to let Rosa’s friends from her gardening club know. They showed up throughout the day to leave food for me and the girls.

My parents showed up two days later for the service. It was strange seeing them after so long. My sadness didn’t completely override the worry I had about their reaction to the girls.


“Dove. You look so grown up now. No longer the little girl that left. I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too Dad.”

The girls were eager to meet the strangers. Lilac demanded that her grandfather pick her up. I started to intervene, but Dad complied with her request.



Mother was the most surprising of all when she bent down to give Iris a hug.

From the moment they’d said they would be coming, I debated on if I wanted to find out who Rosa was to my mother. Rosa never gave me a direct answer, but the more time I spent with her, the more I started to believe she might be my actual grandmother. When Dad volunteered to put the girls down for their nap, I took the opportunity.


“Mother, was Rosa my grandmother?”

She looked around the room. “This place. It’s not how I remembered it. So much color.”

 “You’re avoiding the question. Just like she would. I’m not a child anymore. I have children of my own. Please Mother, for once, take off the politician’s wife hat and be my mom. Please.”


I loved Rosa. In my heart she was already my grandmother. She’d given me the family life I’d craved for so long. But I needed to know, one way or another, I needed to know.


In a move I didn’t expect, she pulled me into a hug. “Your father was right, you are so different now.” She reached out to touch my hair. “Rosa…it’s complicated.”

“How is it complicated? Either she is or she isn’t.”    

Update 15

4 comments:

  1. This was a sad chapter but knowing that Rosa was an elder I knew that was coming up. If Rosa is not her grandmother she has to be related in some way. Her parents came over and arranged for a service so there has to be a connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, losing Rosa was hard. Dove finally had that sense of home and the type of mother figure she'd always wanted. There is something between Rosa and Angel.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Oh Rosa, How sad.
    I'm surprised her parents came, much less interact with the twins. I hope it's a sign that fences are ready to be mended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( Yeah was not expecting her to go so soon. Dove was surprised her parents came as well and actually spent time with their grandkids. Hopefully this is a new leaf.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete