Friday, August 18, 2017

Colors of Love: Gen. 1.7




For the second morning in a row I woke up sick. Mother had made me stay home from school yesterday after I threw up my breakfast. I probably needed to do the same today, but I wanted to go. Even if I didn’t get to talk to him, my days were made a little brighter just getting to see Tyrian. We’d share a secret smile, or if Cotton happened to be not around, like the week he’d been gone on a school trip, we’d brush hands in the hall.

After making myself presentable and hopefully less green looking, I headed downstairs. Voices. More than just my parents. Cotton? Why on earth was he here?

“Oh Dove. I was just about to send Misty up to collect you.”


I stared at the sight before me. Cotton. But also Tyrian and Mrs. Rosette. She looked like she’d been crying. Tyrian only looked up at me briefly before turning away. But Cotton, he wore a smile as wide as a canyon.


“What’s going on?”
                                                            
“Sit Dove.” My father barked the order.

I did as I was told.

Mother began talking. “We’ve found out some rather upsetting news.”


My already rolling stomach lurched more. I again looked over at Tyrian who refused to meet my gaze.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. “What news.”

“Damn it Dove!” Dad yelled, startling us all. “Why would you pull this now? We gave you an order. You were not to have contact with that boy and you defied us! And now, can you imagine the scandal if this were to get out?”

“We…what? I…I only see him at school” My heart pounded. I fought down the growing urge to vomit again.

Mother got up and walked over to the bar, returning with a stack of papers. I stared at them. My emails.

“You read my email?”


“Of course dear. Cotton made us aware that you’ve been acting erratically and suspected you were sneaking around.”

I shot Cotton a death glare.

“We’ve had a parental monitor on the computer for a while, but this was the first time we’ve had to use it. We wanted to trust you, but this, this is unacceptable.”

I crumbled the papers in my fists. Angry tears rolled down my cheeks. “I can’t believe you’d violate my privacy.”

“I can’t believe you’d be so selfish.” Dad snapped. “This could cost me the election. Everything I’ve worked for. Everything your mother has worked for. I’ve never been so disappointed in you.”


“Because I want a life that’s my own I’m selfish. I’ve been told what to wear, what to eat. What activities to do. What friends I could have. And who I could date. You’ve never asked what I wanted, you’ve just told me.”

“Because we know what’s best for you,” Mother argued.

“No, it’s what’s best for you. Tyrian and I are in love. My birthday is in four months and then I can do what I want.”

Both parents laughed.

“Love. Is that what he told you? You’re so naïve and foolish.” I’d never heard my father speak so harshly about me. “Go on boy, tell my daughter the truth so we can be done with this.”



“Tyrian?”

He finally looked at me. I’d never seen him look so sad. “I’m sorry Dove. I…I don’t love you.”

“No, that’s not true. You…you said…”

“Good grief Dove. He was just using you. Something you should be use to by now,” Cotton cut in.

“Cotton!” Dad reprimanded.


He just shrugged. “What? What she said was true. But hey it works in all our favor for her to play her role in advancing your career now and mine later so what’s the harm in being honest with her?”

For the first time I saw a look of shock on my Father’s face. Once again it took Cotton’s words over my own. None of it mattered.

“Tyrian. Please…”


“Look Dove. You’re nice and it was fun hanging out with you. You’re like the most important girl in school so it helped having you as a friend, but that’s all it was. An easy way to transition into school ya know?”

I couldn’t hold it back any longer and barely made it to the bathroom before getting sick again.

Update 8

4 comments:

  1. Her parents must have threatened to have Tyrian's mother fired from her job if he didn't say that. They along with Cotton infuriate me. I'm wondering if she is having a case of morning sickness. Her parents will love that and maybe that will make Cotton go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that way doesn't it. Especially with Cotton there, something isn't quite right. Hahaha it very well could be morning sickness.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. I wonder what threat they're holding over them to get Tyrian to treat her that way? I would like to believe he really does love her.
    I hope Cotton's outburst gets through to Dove's parents. He really is a wretched person.

    I bet shes pregnant! Oh no! the scandal!! *sarcasm*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a powerful family, so threats are easy to make. Tyrian has been a good guy up until now so it does beg the question.

      hahaha yeah they have serious blinders on when it comes to Cotton.

      yup, the scandal.

      thanks for reading

      Delete